Sunday, March 31, 2024

Tubectomy,Vasectomy

Around an year ago, I heard my mom suggesting my cousin to ask her husband to undergo sterilization instead of her as it's easier for men but at the end my cousin underwent the surgery. Today, in our ece class, doctor told us about stigma related to these procedures and I realized that I have already seen all this.


Let's see these procedures,

Tubectomy procedure involves going inside the abdomen


A few small incisions are made around the belly button. A laparoscope with camera is inserted through one of the cuts. It enables surgeon to see internal structures. The surgeon then cuts/seals the tubes.

Similarly vasectomy is a procedure for sterilisation of males. It's easier than tubectomy as the structures are outside the abdominal cavity. It's a 15 min, non invasive procedure performed under local anesthesia.

What shocked me today?

Only 6.3% males underwent sterilization while 93.1% sterilization procedures were performed on women.

Isn't it shocking that even after talking so much about women empowerment the responsibility of family planning lies on the women because apparently men think that it makes them feel less of a man if they undergo such procedures.

No comments:

Post a Comment